Spot the Chevy in the films
Have you already binge-watched all your favorite TV programs, Netflix series, and even some of the movies you have laying around on DVD? If you are looking for inspiration for movies and TV shows that are a little less run of the mill, we’ve got you covered.
Our team at General Motors (GM) obviously loves our cars and trucks, so we have put together a list of the top movies and TV shows featuring our Chevrolet vehicles, including one with our very own Hollywood star. The lists have it all – from crime, drama, and classic to humor and romance – so tee them up in your watch list for a few more nights of entertainment.
Note that some of these movies feature adult themes and are not suitable for young viewers. Please check the rating before screening at home.
Chevrolet in the Movies
- American Graffiti (1973) – 1958 Chevy Impala and 1955 Chevy 2010 – American coming-of-age comedy that tells the story of a group of teenagers and their adventures over the course of a single night.
- Cheech & Chong Up in Smoke (1978) – 1970’s Chevy Step Van – Anthony “Man” Stoner is a jobless, marijuana-smoking drummer, is told to either get a job by sundown or be sent off to military school by his parents.
- Goodfellas (1990) – 1961 Chevrolet Impala Convertible, 1966 Chevrolet Corvette – is an American crime film that narrates the rise and fall of mob associate Henry Hill and his friends and family from 1955 to 1980.
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993) – 1980 Chevrolet Corvette C3 – is an American romantic comedy. After Chicago architect Sam Baldwin loses his wife Maggie to cancer, he and his eight-year-old son Jonah start a new life in Seattle, but they continue to grieve, until he meets someone new.
- Pulp Fiction (1994) – 1964 Chevrolet Malibu – is an American crime film that tells several stories of criminals in Los Angeles.
- Transformers (2007) – Camaro – while the original Transformers movie came out in 1986 and was animated, featuring “Bumblebee” – a VW Beetle. But when the first film in the updated live-action series came out, Bumblebee starts off as 1977 second-generation Chevrolet Camaro and transforms to a 2010 Camaro. This movie also features the Chevrolet Silverado as the ‘Silverado’ bot.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) and Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) – feature a heavily modified 2010 Camaro
- Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) – 2013 Camaro Special Mention: A custom 1967 Camaro as an early version of Bumblebee
- Transformers: The Last Knight (2017) – modified version of the 2018 Camaro
- The Dark Knight (2008) – 2009 Chevrolet Express 1500 – is a sequel to Batman Begins and is a superhero film.
- Drive (2011) – 1973 Chevrolet Malibu – is an American action drama about a Hollywood stunt driver who moonlights as a getaway driver.
Chevrolet on TV
- Facts of Life (1960) – 1958 Chevrolet Corvette C1 – an American sitcom and spin-off of Different Strokes, features former housekeeper Edna Garrett becoming the housemother of a dormitory at Eastland School, a private all-girls school.
- Route 66 (1960 – 1964) – 1961 Chevrolet Corvette – this American Adventure Crime Drama follows two young men traversing the United States in a Chevrolet Corvette convertible, and the events and consequences surrounding their journeys.
- Miami Vice (1984 – 1989) – 1954 Chevrolet Corvette C1, 1988 Chevrolet Corvette C4 – is an American crime drama following two Miami Police Department detectives working undercover.
- Stingray (1985 – 1987) – 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray – an American drama featuring Ray, a man of mystery, who gets people out of trouble, asking for favors in return.
- 21 Jump Street (1987 – 1991) – 1959 Chevrolet Corvette C1, 1978 Chevrolet Corvette C3, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette C3, 1990 Chevrolet Corvette C4 – is an American police procedural that focuses on a squad of youthful-looking undercover police officers investigating crimes in high schools, colleges, and other teenage venues.
- Sopranos (1999 – 2007) – 1999 Chevrolet Suburban (in season 1) – is an American crime series that portrays Tony Soprano’s difficulties balancing family life and being leader of the mob.
- Friday Night Lights (2006 – 2011) – 1999 Chevrolet Silverado – is American sports drama about a high school football team in the fictional town of Dillon, a small, close-knit community in rural Texas.
- Veronica Mars (2004 – 2020) – 1958 Chevrolet Covette C1 – is an American teen noir mystery drama that follows Veronica Mars, a highschool/college student who moonlights as a private investigator with her detective father.
- NCIS (2009 – 2020) – 1999 Chevrolet Silverado – an American action police procedural revolving around a fictional team of special agents from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.
- Better Call Saul (2015 – 2020) – Chevrolet Corvette C5 – is an American crime drama that was created to be a prequel and spin-off of Breaking Bad. The series follows the story of con-man turned small-time lawyer Jimmy McGill, showing his transformation into criminal for hire Saul Goodman
- Stranger Things (2016 – 2020) – 1975 Chevrolet Blazer, 1983 Chevrolet Blazer, 1987 Chevrolet Blazer – is an American science fiction, drama-horror is set in the and focuses on the investigation into the disappearance of a young boy amid supernatural events occurring around the town, including the appearance of a girl with psychokinetic abilities.
- Narcos:Mexico (2018 – 2020) – 1969 Chevrolet C-10, 1982 Chevrolet Corvette C3 – is an American crime drama that focuses on the illegal drug trade.
There are countless movies that starred Chevrolet vehicles, as these vehicles symbolized the all-american lifestyle.
Here are some favorites of the guys here in Streettalk:
Clear and Present Danger – 1994 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 Silverado. The scene where a convoy of white Suburbans was ambushed with grenade launchers, but somehow withstood the damage and managed to drive the protagonists out alive was unforgettable. Sure, it was improbable but it established the bulletproof image of the mighty Suburban.
John Wick – 1970 Chevelle SS 454. The alternate car of John Wick when his Mustang was stolen. The tail swinging take-offs and burnouts gave excited chills to american muscle enthusiasts. It also made a short but impressive cameo in the opening scenes in John Wick 2.
A Walk to Remember – 1967 Camaro. The male protagonist uses this car as his daily commute to school, a typical car for the typical jock. He is also shown tuning the car; an ode to the easy maintenance of the venerable small block V8. We just watched this cheesy movie because of that car. Yeah, right.
There are more in our list, but that is another story..er….article to come. Truly, the Heartbeat of America.
By the way, our EIC, Earl Manalansan, is a true Chevyphile. He owned a ’67 Camaro back in college, and ’70 Camaro a decade ago. He also has a basket case but gennie 1967 Camaro SS body stocked away somewhere, with dreams of restoring it in the future.