Volkswagen Philippines recently launched its new lineup for the 2018 year model. Among the five, the smallest took centerstage, and with Ayala Corporation President and COO Fernando Zobel De Ayala at the wheel, everyone was curious on what the head honcho is driving?
That car is the VW Santana. It is the vehicle that VW hopes will directly compete and takeover the subcompact sedan segment, and be judged as the real “Peoples Car”. With simplicity and quality in mind, it’s in line with the tradition of the classic Volkswagen Beetle, the first mass-produced and affordable vehicle for the masses.
Angular lines dominate the body style, creating a solid handsome profile. The front fascia, although simple, is unmistakably VW; wide grille and and symmetrical headlights evokes European class.
Inside, the interior is all business. Switches are easy to reach, analog gauges are in perfect layout, easy to read and decluttered of all unnecessary accessories. The seats are wrapped in Gray fabric instead of leatherette, giving it a more sporty feel. The manual shifter is long enough for a more relaxed shifting and the console is placed low enough not to be a hindrance to the driver’s elbows.
The Santana is powered by the popular 1.4-liter Multi-point Injection (MPI) 4-cylinder petrol engine rated at 90ps at 5,500rpm, with a maximum torque reading of 132Nm at 3,800 rpm. For now, a 5-speed manual transmission is the only option, but we hear that an automatic version will be available later this year.
The Santana features electronic power steering, front McPherson independent suspension, rear composite torsion beam semi-independent suspension. Safety highlights include ISOFIX anchorage points (mounting fixture for two child seats on rear seat bench), Anti-lock BrakingSystem (ABS) and immobilizer. Gone are the puny tires that hounded the subcompacts. The Santana sports 15in tires and rims.
One of the advantages of the VW support is the Comprehensive warranty of 3 Years or 100,000-km general warranty (whichever comes first) and a 3-year warranty for paint and another 3-year warranty for through-corrosion of the main steel body structure. Only Volkswagen offers this kind of warranty.
Available colors are Polar White, Reflex Silver, Pepper Gray and Deep Black.
SRP is Php686,000.00.
The Volkswagen Santana is available at all eight Volkswagen Philippines dealerships:
- Volkswagen BGC at 938 28th Street City Center, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City
- Volkswagen Quezon Avenue at 1229 Quezon Avenue, Quezon City
- Volkswagen Alabang at Caltex along Alabang-Zapote Road, Madrigal Business Park, Ayala Alabang, Muntinlupa City
- Volkswagen Greenfield District Service Center at 833 Sheridan Street, Barangay Highway Hills, Mandaluyong City
- Volkswagen Pampanga at McArthur Highway, Dolores, City of San Fernando, Pampanga
- Volkswagen Cebu at A. Soriano Avenue, North Reclamation Area, Cebu City
- Volkswagen Iloilo (upper ground level of SM Iloilo along Benigno Aquino Sr. Avenue
- Volkswagen Bacolod (along Araneta Street, Singcang, Bacolod City, Negros Occidental).
The VW Santana: You get more for less.